Sunday 3 November 2013

Stars:  3  / 10

The trailer had my heart racing! I was so excited about this film, and certain it was going to make me want to sleep with the lights on... FAIL.

Not scary. Not clever. Not factual. Not particularly worth watching. The Conjuring is one let down after another:

 
L o o s e l y  (in all extremity of the word) based on a "true story", I was terribly disappointed that it didn't follow the actual "facts" of the case more closely. If you're looking for a real case history here, you won't find it.

And I was so looking forward to a really good Lorraine Warren impersonation ("oh honey, there's evil here." lol) but Farmiga really plays her down, way down, which, I suppose, was intended to keep her away from anything remotely resembling a spoof of Warren's distinctive voice.

The Conjuring doesn't really stand out amongst other "haunted house" films. Through the whole movie, I kept thinking that it desperately wanted to be Amityville Horror; I would call it A.H.'s second-cousin-once-removed. In a way, I wish that James Wan had done the A.H. remake, rather than Andrew Douglas (who really botched it), because he's clearly a fan of the original film, as it's scent is all over The Conjuring.



The only other Wan-directed film I've seen is SAW (which I hated,) but, although he doesn't seem talented at making scary movies that are actually scary, he does create thoughtful colour schemes.

And by the way, I still love Lili Taylor, even though she often picks stinkbomb scripts.



Director: James Wan
Year: 2013
Main Cast: Lili Taylor, Patrick Wilson, Vera Farmiga, Ron Livingston

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1457767/

 

0 comments :

Post a Comment